Saturday, October 4, 2008

Recipe of the Week - Yogurt Parmesan Chicken

Yep, this is the recipe of the week for last week!! I am finally caught up. Well, kind of. The week of 9/20, I made a really good Mexican dish, which I kind of made up myself. I clearly remember writing down how I did it after the fact, but I can't find the document. So, I will have to make it again sometime and post it then.

Anyway, I made last week's recipe on Monday.

Yogurt Parmesan Chicken
from Stirring Performances by The Junior League of Winston-Salem

Ingredients
1/2 c. plain yogurt
1/4 c. mayonnaise
1/4 c. green onion, chopped
1/2 t. Worcestershire sauce
8 chicken breasts
Salt & pepper to taste
1/2 t. thyme
1/2 c. lemon juice
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese

Directions
Preheat oven to 375.

For the sauce, blend well the yogurt, mayonnaise, onions and Worcestershire sauce.

Place the chicken in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and thyme. Pour lemon juice over it.

Pour yogurt sauce over chicken. Then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Bake for 1 hour.

The Verdict
There is a photo of this, but my husband left the card reader at work, so I can't get it off the camera.

This dish was so yummy and really quite easy! I used Greek yogurt, because it was the only kind of plain yogurt that came in a single-serving container. I didn't want to buy a big thing of it knowing I wouldn't use it all in a timely manner. The single serving was 6 oz., and I used all of it. The recipe doesn't specify dried or fresh thyme; I used dried. I didn't really measure, I just sprinkled it over the chicken. Same with the lemon juice - I just used 2 small lemons and squeezed them right over the chicken. Then, I just used my microplane grater to grate some Parmesan over it. Although I only made 3 chicken breasts, I still made the full recipe of sauce. If I was going to do 8 breasts, I might double, or even triple the sauce recipe. It's so good, you'll want extra!

I served it over cous cous, with a side of broccoli.

No comments: